The Governors of 25 states and D.C. have declared 2.2 million workers preparing food in restaurants like McDonald’s to be essential employees in this crisis.
It’s past time that McDonald’s use its massive resources to be a leader on behalf of the workers who contribute so much to its brand, reputation, and corporate profits.
We demand that:
- Any worker who wears the McDonald’s uniform, must be allowed to refuse to work over safety concerns, without termination or penalty. Some of us have to stay at home to take care of ourselves and our families, or because we are quarantined, fall into particularly at-risk population groups or are worried about keeping ourselves safe on the job;
- McDonald’s must provide all non-working Crew Members with Covid-19 Pandemic Pay for the next 60 days. This should include supplementing any shortfall occurring through a delay in unemployment payments;
- McDonald’s must provide additional Covid-19 Hazard Pay of at least $3 an hour for Crew Members who continue to serve the public during this pandemic;
- McDonald’s must cover the cost of Covid-19 testing and treatment for all affected workers;
- McDonald’s must adhere to the strictest safety standards put forward by the CDC and local health officials, including social distancing, and supplying all of us with the necessary Personal Protective Equipment. If individual stores are unable to meet these essential safety standards, they should be closed.